Tuesday, August 17, 2010

More ideas from Dollar Stretcher

Powerful Plant Additives

A long time ago, I remember my father emptying his coffee grounds into a planter right next to our back door. He mixed them into the dirt. We had the largest papayas in the neighborhood as well as the fattest earth worms. Everything we planted in the planter grew fantastically large and fast.

Acquiring that much coffee grounds takes time unless you drink a lot of coffee. I found out our local Starbucks has started a "go green" program where they will give away their coffee grounds if you ask. I have now received about 20 pounds of grounds. You can also try your local bakery for egg shells. We leave a empty container with a lid and pick it up about once a week. They add nutrients to the soil, and best of all, they are free. Ken T. in Kailua, HI

Old Purses

Recycle those old purses for disadvantaged, homeless women. Many times, homeless women will go to churches or community centers, seeking help in some small way. Most of the time, churches or other organizations don't have anything to give them. Or don't just hand out cash even if it just a dollar for bus fare.

Many of us have old purses in our closet that we throw away or give to a charity. These could be put to good use by being filled with items a homeless woman might need and not have like pens and notepaper, small bars of soap or shampoo, and lotion. A clean plastic cup put in a small baggie may be appreciated. How many times might a homeless lady desire a drink of water and not have a cup? Give new toothbrushes and small tubes of toothpaste or a pair clean socks that you no longer wear.

We have many of these items just sitting around the house in surplus. Even a small snack like a granola bar or pudding cup could be added. Once the purses are filled, they could be taken to a church or food bank where homeless ladies come or even handed out in areas where homeless women are located. Sometimes a pack of eight toothbrushes or other small bulk items can be bought at a dollar store and divided among the individual purses with one in each purse. It may not seem like much to us, but it will make a big difference to someone who has very little. A.

Little Luxuries: The Theater

I belong to a theater group that performs an annual comedy show for the benefit of a local church. I was checking my local newspaper for fun and interesting things to do and found an invitation to join. It takes very little of my time, and I enjoy being around other people who like comedy as much as I do. I consider this a luxury because it is fun, entertaining, non-fattening and free. It's something I do just for me. We raise money for charity and have a ball doing it! Local newspapers are an excellent source for free entertainment opportunities.
D. T.

editor's note: If you have a method for making you or your family feel good without spending money, please send it to gary@stretcher.com.



Just Add Water

It works! I have tried this, and not only does it save money, but it also looks good and is fun for all. I will never run out of chives for my potatoes or salads again. I took a bunch of green onions and put them in some water. I change the water every few days and the onions continue to sprout brand new green stems for cooking and cold dishes. It looks great on the counter, and I have not run out since I started my own. Dawn in Westlake Village, CA

Handy Burger Patties

To make quick and uniform hamburger or sausage patties, I use two piece jar lids. I use regular size for smaller patties and wide mouth for larger ones. Just dampen both pieces and fill with ground meat, turn over, and push meat out with the insert.
Virginia M. in Clarion, PA

8 Comments:

At 3:53 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Thanks for the tip on Starbucks, Lucy. The old purses thing is good.
I save baseball caps for the Salvation Army. We help sometimes with feeding the noon meal. Seems someone is always needing a hat for our hot sunny weather.
..

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

That old purses idea is absolutely the best. I have many that I will never carry again but are in very good condition and it will be so much fun to stuff them with goodies and donate to a homeless shelter.

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

My aunt used to dump out her coffee grounds on the houseplants she owned. But then I thought I read that's not ALWAYS good for the plants.

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Putz said...

i have never had coffee groiunds or coffee airs for that matter

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Lots of good ideas, Lucy.
Thanks for the visit and the kind words about Sweetie...And you are right, there is nothing like GOOD friends!

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Ralph said...

Thnaks for the tip about Starbucks. I need to do something in my garden as it has produced very, very little this year.
Ralph

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

I love the purse idea. That is such a great idea!

Great tips as always Lucy!

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Hathor said...

I actually spent too much money buying a plastic hamburger patty maker which was really awful to use. Its been sitting in the draw for years. The lids seem to be a better solution.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home